Monday, June 1, 2009

Rice rolls on Monday

Justin used to be the ideal "unpicky" eater. He ate everything except bell peppers. That much I could accomodate. But since he began preschool, he's become very picky regarding what he'll eat for lunch. (He's still relatively unpicky about eating at home, thank goodness!)

Of all the preschools we looked into, most provided lunch, but we had to go with the one that didn't (which was the one that didn't have a 2-year waitlist). So mom has been struggling for the past two weeks to pack lunch in the mornings that will be eaten and will be evaluated as healthy by the teachers (because I think I could pack goldfish crackers and chocolate milk, and he would eat that).

I don't think the teachers mean this as a form of evaluation, but they give you little sheets of what he had for lunch. But for the mom, it feels somewhat like Big Brother is watching to make sure you're touching on the four food groups and packing veges and not using instant, microwaveable stuff that are bad for children!

So here's what Justin got for lunch today:

We had leftovers from the kimbap that we made yesterday (which Justin devoured totally) so this morning was relatively easy. We seasoned rice with the vinegar powder and sesame oil, and rolled it up with beef, burdock (우엉), and cooked shredded carrots. Just because he loves eggs, we cut up some of the rolled eggs as a side dish. And he gets a healthy cup of oranges and strawberries for dessert.

I had a few leftover and so I laid it out on the table for breakfast - to see how he would respond. Not that I had any other options for his lunchbox if he didn't seem to like it. Thank goodness he finished them all - but he did remove a strand of carrot (I tried to dice up the carrots again after shredding them, but unfortunately one strand survived my knife), calling it a "worm". Okay, so he won't eat bell peppers and he won't eat worms. I think that's a good thing.





No comments:

Post a Comment