Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Nori rolls (again) on Tuesday

Rolls again? As a lame excuse, every time I pack sandwiches Justin comes home with a full lunchbox. Honestly? I'm out of chicken nuggets (which he does eat) and Kraft Singles (which I need to make sandwiches). But of course, most importantly, he just likes rice rolls.


So today he's getting plain rice rolls (the rice balls didn't fly so well yesterday - only a 50% hit ratio) that I know he likes, with ham-carrot-green onion-egg cakes (a.k.a. 전) and diced daikon for sides. For some reason he only ate the oranges yesterday, so although I feel like he would eat strawberries today, I'm going to hold back the urge to recycle and give him organic D'Anjou pears (courtesy of The Fruit Guys) for a change. I hope he likes these. I ate the scraps in the morning and they were good!

I had a little fun with the pears. I bought the cutest cookie cutters from Williams Sonoma (but they don't have them online!), and have been using them to cut up sandwiches (that he will not eat), but it's so much easier with pears! There are 10 different shapes - I only used 5 of them today. We'll see which ones he favors.


They do serve milk and water, but I've noticed that they serve water in the milk cups without completely rinsing them out. I suppose it's all the same when it gets into your system, but for some reason that seems too gross for me (especially because I don't drink milk) so I'm opting to pack his water separately.

This is what it looks like when it all comes together:


While Justin was (hopefully) enjoying his lunch, we took a (well-deserved) break this afternoon and splurged on lunch at University Cafe, with a steak stir-fry and a Sunny Platter. The Sunny Platter is absolutely perfect for someone like me who can never make up their minds between savory and sweet for breakfast/brunch. It combines eggs benedict and potatoes (savory) and french toast with fresh fruit (sweet) on one plate! Of course, the steak stir fry was really good, too (other than the fact that we ordered it medium and got a really well-done steak). Tomorrow, Justin will get a more interesting lunch. Promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment