Friday, June 19, 2009

More lunchbox tools have arrived

I was running out of ideas and my box of goodies from Ichiban Kan arrived just in the nick of time.

Justin loves the rice balls but it makes me feel guilty to send him with the same thing over and over again. So this time, I bought a paper punch to punch out little teddy bear shapes of nori. This was a little trickier than I expected - the nori has holes in it, and because the teddy bear shape is really small, if you position the nori the wrong way, the bear comes out without an arm or an ear. Anyway, it works and it's cute, so I'm happy.


I also bought a square frying pan for making eggs. I spent a lot of time at Williams-Sonoma looking for a square pan for this purpose, but could only find the LeCreuset panini grills (I can't imagine what my eggs would look like if I tried it on one of those), and even that for over $100. This pan I found at Ichiban Kan was super cheap - just $7-8. It's small but it makes perfect eggs that doesn't have ugly uneven ends. But I've yet to buy green onions - so I just used nori, again, for color. Justin will be nori-ed out.

As a just in case, I sauteed a little bit of shrimp. The 10-15 count shrimp were larger than I thought and I only wound up packing 2 of them.

For dessert he has grapes and pineapples. We have a great big fruit bowl and I picked the pineapples out of it so they're a little pink from sitting next to strawberries. Another great idea gone bad... I thought I could scoop the fruit out from the fruit bowl but Justin will spit out every thing he doesn't like so now I have to pick through the sticky juice. You might notice, I'm not using both cases of the new Hakoya lunchbox because I agree, it's a bit too large for a preschooler!

No comments:

Post a Comment